Friday, December 26, 2014

On the Precipice of Production

So here we are, 2 hours from the ELENA VANCE shoot.

ELENA VANCE is a 25 minute suspense-drama about an introverted high school student and his dueling obsessions with a beautiful classmate and a dark mystery.  My biggest influences when writing it were the Antonioni films L'AVVENTURA, L'ECLISSE and BLOWUP, the Argento film THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE, the Coppola film THE CONVERSATION, and De Palma's reworking of BLOWUP, which is of course titled BLOWOUT.


It's a personal project for me... I wanted to make a movie about how big and scary the world can seem to a kid approaching adulthood.  It's also about institutional oppression, family, the nature of love... all that wonderful profound stuff.

When I was watching IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE with Michelle on Christmas Eve, during the final scene I found myself reflecting on all the amazing, generous people who have made ELENA VANCE possible.  There was a point about a month ago when I was really starting to freak out, wondering where the funding would come from and who could step in to help produce this unwieldy beast.  Since then so many people have come forward to contribute time and money and creativity, and ELENA VANCE is on the path to success.  Now we just gotta shoot it.  =)

So stay tuned, blog posts should be up every night as we barrel through the six day shoot.  And when I have more time, I'll back up and start from the beginning: how the project started, who all is involved, and how any of this is even possible.

- Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment